Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord bounced my checks

Posted by Lady on August 18, 2000 at 10:00:29:

In Reply to: Landlord bounced my checks posted by Lady on August 18, 2000 at 09:53:54:

: I live in Newark, New Jersey in a 2 family house apartment for 7 seven years. This past June, I gave a post dated check to my landlord of $2,300 to cover my summer rent (June-Sept.). When I gave the check to my landlord, I told him not to deposit the check until the 15th of June. Instead, the landlord deposit the check anyway. This caused to bounce about 6 checks. I immediately called the landlord and told him what he did. He said that he forgot what I had said about the date of depositing the check. He also said if I wanted him to return the entire money. I responded no because the bank had already put the money into his account but I had to pay the bounced check charges.
: Afer receiving the bank statements, the total of bounced checks charges totaled up to $227.00. I wrote a letter to my landlord about sending me a check or money order of this amount. He called me angrily and stated that he was not going to pay and that first of all it was illegal to give a post-dated check after all. And I responded, if you knew it was illegal then why you accepted the check?? In conclusion, he said for me to take him to court.
: I am very upset at this situation and I don't know whether to take him to court or not. I don't want to lose time from work. Also I don't want to lose my apartment since I pay low rent. Can anyone give me an advice???????

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name