Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

What constitutes 30 day notice?? Please help :(

Posted by Mark Goddard on August 17, 2000 at 22:51:29:

Here is the dispute. I rented a townhouse with two roomates 3 years ago. The lease requires notice to vacate 30 days before lease expires. My two roomates moved out months ago but retained right of reentry (they were still paying rent until the end of the lease). I spoke w/ my landlord and she asked me if I would be staying, I replied that the only way I could stay is if I found 1 or 2 roomates. That was the end of the conversation. We had one other conversation where she asked me (about 2 weeks before the 30 day notice had to be in) how the search was going and I told her that I was still looking but had some people come by to look at the place, I restated that I couldn't stay if I didn't find roomates. We did not talk again till 7/10 when I informed her that I was unable to find anyone and would have to move out. She said ok and that she would miss me as a tenant, a sign was placed in the yard a day later. 7/31, I move out and turn over my keys. We did a walkthrough and she says nothing about charges to be made. 8/16, I recieve a certified letter stating that I owe her an entire months rent (on top of everything else) for August b/c I failed to give proper notice. With this in mind please tell me if my defense (see below) holds water (or should I chalk it up to experiance).
1) I did give notice that I could not stay if I didn't find a roomate, she knew this and could have called on the 1st in an effort to minimize damages.
2) I was never informed that she would charge me for an entire months rent and if I was informed I would have stayed and tried to find new roomates (I would have had an additional 6 weeks). As it was I found an apt and still moved out before my lease was up. Also, the place I found cost $485 which I wouldn't of had to pay had I stayed at the townhouse through august 31.
3) on 7/31, I turned over the keys and all rights to reenter. While doing the walkthrough I asked her about damages and was told that a management company handles these things and I would recieve an invoice for any damages in 15 days or less.

Please, tell me if I have any options. The landlord is saying I owe her $560 after the deposit is accounted for!
Mark

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name