Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Subletting

Posted by D on August 17, 2000 at 11:57:07:

Hello,

I'm currently subletting an apartment in a building with more than 4 units in NYC in a rent-stabilized building. I signed a written lease, which did not stipulate that there would be any "sharing," but would like to know what my rights are as a subtenant. Does the original tenant have the right to enter the premises at will, without me being present, without notifying me or obtaining my permission? Can the original tenant work in the apt., for hours at a time, using the rationale that as the original tenant it's her stuff and she has the right to her belongings? Do I have all of the same rights that a tenant would have with a landlord? It seems to me that she is now acting as a landlord, having signed the lease and accepted my rental payments, and so my relationship with her and vice versa should be like the relationship that she has with her landlord, which would mean that she wouldn't have free access to the space or be able to share/use/occupy the space in any way shape or form--whether or not I've gone to work for the day and am not physically present when she enters.

Does anyone have any insight or info regarding this issue?

Thank You,

D.
Feeling Invaded

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name