Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

You can move out

Posted by Unstoppable Ed on August 14, 2000 at 21:35:26:

In Reply to: I Do No Agree With Rent Increase -month to month tenant posted by MyCoolToast on August 05, 2000 at 21:27:39:

In New York City the landlord is required to give you 30 days notice on a month-to-month lease. If you wanted to you could argue with him that the increase should not take effect until the 5th of the month, that that month's rent should be adjusted based on this, but would you get anywhere ?

That's the trade off with a month to month lease. Theres no set terms and you can get out of it whenever you want but the property owner is also free to raise your rent or ask you to leave on 30 days notice.

Ultimately, he owns the building, not you, so if you are unhappy with the rent start looking elsewhere and tell the owner when you're moving out.

: I am a renter with no lease and was given a notice of increase in rent on the 5th of the month. My Rent is due on every first of the month. If I do not agree with this notice I am unsure on how to go about it. If I do tell my landlord that I do not agree, what actions can he take against me, and how long do I legally have (New York) before he evicts me? Was he supposed to write me the notice of increase before or on the 1st of the month and not the 5th? Thank you for any opinions.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name