Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Here's help, but be more specific in the future

Posted by Unstoppable Ed on August 14, 2000 at 20:46:56:

In Reply to: HELP PLEASE ASAP posted by J on August 14, 2000 at 16:20:38:

: I posted the message below a couple of days ago and really need some advice regrading this issue...

When you post a message, please take the time to tell us where you live, whether you have a lease or not, if in NYC are you rent stabilized, and how many other apartments are in your building ... these can all make a big difference, and not stating them is probably why your message was ignored.

Regarding your painting the apartment: In general, this has no effect on your rent. You painted the apartment on your own initiative, in your own style, and enjoyed the newly painted apartment, so why would this reduce your rent ?

IF you are going to undertake substantial improvements or modifications to your apartment, and want to see if you can be compensated for them, you need to talk to your landlord BEFORE you begin. He or she is under no obligation to agree, but given that you would be improving his property, he/she may well agree to pay for the cost of paint or other materials if you do the work, or something like that.

You might try this sort of arrangement for the other repairs in your apartment. In general witholding rent will only earn you the wrath of the landlord and a date in housing court, so try to solve these things with your landlord.

It sounds like you need to consider the attitude of your landlord towards making repairs, your willingness to invest time and $ into an apartment that you don't own, the amount of rent you pay, and decide whether you are better off staying put where you are or looking for something better to rent/buy.

: We have lived in our apartment for almost 5 years. When we first moved in we basically took the apartment as is, w/ the exception of asking for rebarnished floors. All the appliances, cabinets, flooring, and tiles are from the tenants before us, and maybe before them too. Just recently we decided to paint the apartment ourselves. We were told by friends that we would probably be eligible for a discount on our rent because we painted ourselves, instead of the landlord having our apartment painted every 2 years. Is that true and how much should I request? Also, in regards to the appliances, cabinets, flooring and tiles what can I ask for without any expense coming out of my own pocket. Everthing is pretty much falling apart, the floors in the kitchen are peeling, the cabinets are all warped, the bathroom faucet will not shut off and the tub is rusted out, the fridge is ancient, has no handles and uses up too much electricity. Those are just a few of the repairs. I've heard of with holding rent payments until repairs are made. If the landlord refuses, would we be able to pay a discounted rent or with hold payment in the meantime? What are my rights and what should I do in order to ensure the landlord follows through.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name