Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

TENANT AGAINST RENT REGULATION

Posted by Free market tenant Ken on August 13, 2000 at 02:19:31:

I am tired of so-called "housing activists" and their lawyer friends whine on about how rent controls are so important, poor tenants need protections, etc.

It's all baloney.

Rent regulation means higher rents and fewer apartments. It makes it all the more difficult for new residents of a city to find apartments. Tell me housing activists, where can I find a nice rent cheap rent stabilized apartment in New York ? There's no free lunch. The government doesn't set any official prices for essentials like restaurant meals, clothing stores or grocery stores, so why should the government tell me how much I should pay in rent ? I'd rather make my own deal with the landlord -- just like homebuyers and condo and coop dwellers already do.

When half the city's apartments are locked into rent regulations, its no wonder that the other half rent for sky-high amounts. Tenants of unregulated apartments indirectly pay the rents of stabilized tenants because property owners have to make money somewhere. What really disgusts me are those rent stabilized tenants who, after years living for next to nothing, complain that they are too poor to move and who try to give their relatives, friends, etc into their apartments. Shows how corrupt and insider-friendly the system is.

Housing and tenant activists, take note. We don't want your rent regulation. Live free or die.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name