Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: apartment entry

Posted by James Shoo on August 12, 2000 at 11:49:52:

In Reply to: apartment entry posted by froilan lomotan on August 10, 2000 at 12:22:13:

Another possibility is that a former tenant kept a copy of the key and entered the apartment. I would ask to have the lock changed.

It is illegal, I think probably everywhere, for landlords to enter without notice, except in emergencies. However many landlords ignore the law because it is almost impossible to enforce. Even if someone video-taped the landlord entering, the LL could make up a story about it being an emergency.

I'd definitely talk to the landlord, because entering illegally is bad enough, but leaving the door unlocked or open is incredibly stupid.

Anyone who lives in an apartment should expect that the landlord or maintenance people will enter the apartment, and so the tenant should protect themselves. Get renter's insurance, keep valuables locked up or in bank safe deposit boxes, and consider storing large items you aren't using with relatives or friends who have houses.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name