Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: No A/C during heatwave...are you serious?

Posted by richard on August 10, 2000 at 19:10:25:

In Reply to: No A/C during heatwave... posted by Dawn Higginbotham on August 10, 2000 at 17:37:14:

Just what the hell is wrong with you? You have a serious health
Hazard with asbestos, call the Fire dept, the Police dept, EPA, and
make your landlord PAY for everything...

Your hotel room your moving costs your days missed from work...get a
lawyer and sue the bastard

Come on is this what your HIGH PRICED COLLEGE EDUCATION TAUGHT YOU?

OH they didnt teach you how to defend yourself....boy did you get
ripped off

================================================

: I live in Woodland Hills, California. The past two weeks have been considered a heat wave and the temperature during the day has seldom been under 98 degrees. my Air conditioner unit has not been working properly for the past two months and about a month ago it completely stopped working. I called the landlord and put in a complaint to have it fixed. I didn't receive any response for 2 weeks, then when they did decide to respond, they came into my apartment unannounced and ripped the A/C unit fromt he ceiling and set it in my living room. The bad thing about this is that it sat there for a week. So I had a hole in the roof and no A/C during the two hottest months of the year. The landlords didn't respond to any of my calls asking why the old unit and the mess from that removal was still existing in my living room for a week. Then 2 weeks later from the removal, the new unit was put in and it didn't work. For another week I was living in an 85 degree apartment, sleepless nights. They finally got the new unit working and it only worked for a single day. Now I am living in an apartment with asbestos paint dust and dirty walls (from the installers) and the air conditioning still doesn't work. I know of the warranty of habitability and am wondering if I should withhold rent (rent-strike) or if I should go ahead and fix the problem and sue the landlord for the cost.
: Any advise as to what I should do is greatly appreciated.
: Thanks,
: Dawn Higginbotham

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name