Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Collection of overpaid rent

Posted by Gus on August 10, 2000 at 14:18:52:

I had a case where the landlord was overcharging for rent in an appartment in Brooklyn. Istarted the case with DHCR more than a decade ago. Meanwhile I moved out of the building. Finally after several appeals the lanlord lost the case and dammages are rewarded. The problem I have is as follows.
How can I collect the damages? I went to the sheriff's office and they need a specific bank accound of the landlord to go after. Another suggested way is to get all the names of the tennats, give them to the sheriff and he can collect the rent directly untill the damages are satisfied? Anyone has a suggestion or previous experince in dealing with collection of unlawfully with-held money.
Obvioulsy the court the only thing they provide is an order of payment but it seems there is no enforcement upon the landlord as to the way and time of payment.
Alos the landlord has transfered the building form his own name to a corporation. Now the corpaoration has possetion of the property but the case was agains the landlord himself. The records indicate the transfer. Can anyone provide advise?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name