Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Tenant's right to install satellite TV

Posted by Mark Smith on August 10, 2000 at 09:07:54:

In Reply to: Tenant's right to install satellite TV posted by marta on August 09, 2000 at 17:18:35:

You could (1) install the dish yourself, (2) try a different installation company, or (3) take your landlord to state Supreme Court.

Write a letter to your landlord and attach the relevant FCC rules. Send that by certified mail. Let the landlord know that, if he doesn't allow the satellite dish to be installed, you will sue him, and that, under the lease, he will have to pay for your attorneys' fees. Actually, you'd be in a better position to collect your legal fees if you had the installation completed and the landlord tried to evict you.

You are correct about your rights under the FCC rules. Make certain that the antenna isn't attached to the terrace. Get a heavy bucket, pail, or planter and have the satellite mast embedded in cement in the bucket. Then attach the satellite dish to the mast. Also don't drill a hole in the building wall, window or window frame, or door or door frame to bring the antenna cable into the apartment. There is special equipment which will let you bring the cable under the window frame.

:
: NYC rent stabilized apt. I tried to have a satellite dish installed on my terrace. The landlord turned up and chased the installers away. The FCC ruling on this matter is very clear. I have the right to install the satellite dish within my demised premises (in this case my terrace) without landlord consent. Supposedly I need landlord consent for installation in common areas. The satellite dish company says that, although the law is on my side, they can't complete the installation without signed landlord's consent (otherwise they risk a lawsuit). What legal recourse do I have? Do I have to take landlord to court and is it worth it? All input will be appreciated.
: Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name