Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Stabilized-to-destabilized renewal

Posted by richard on August 10, 2000 at 01:16:04:

In Reply to: Stabilized-to-destabilized renewal posted by Mike on August 09, 2000 at 23:38:11:

Did you know about the J51 expiring? Was it stated on your RS lease that it was going to expire this year?

IF NOT then the landlord cannot raise the rent more then the 2 or 4 %. and it remains stabilized.....boy wouldnt that be coooool

: My apartment bldg's J-51 stabilization expired and I'm now facing the prospect of siging a new de-stabilized lease. My landlord first offered me a two-year lease, with a whopping 24% increase in the first year, and then a $50 per month increase in the 2nd. A month and a half later, I signed the lease, (they hadn't signed it yet) and they then reneged, saying they changed their minds and were now offering me a one year lease.

: This is a 150 unit building.

: I know other tenants in the building who were given two-year, destabilized leases.

: First of all, since my last lease was rent-stabilized and therefore I'm nominally a stabilized tenant under this lease, do I still have the right, as a "stabilized" tenant, to a two-year lease offer, regardless whether the new lease is destabilized? Do I still have this right?

: Secondly, do I have the right to consider the new offer of a one-year lease a "new offer" thereby making the new lease effective 120 days after I received it? (which would be about 3 months past the original lease beginning date of August 1). And if that's the case, do they then have to offer me a lease STATING the new beginning date?

: Do I have any recourse at all? I feel jilted by these people for backing down on their initial offer, especially knowing that other tenants in the building were provided with two-year leases.

: This building has no tenants association.

: Please respond quickly, my time is running out!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name