Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Stabilized-to-destabilized renewal

Posted by Mike on August 09, 2000 at 23:38:11:

My apartment bldg's J-51 stabilization expired and I'm now facing the prospect of siging a new de-stabilized lease. My landlord first offered me a two-year lease, with a whopping 24% increase in the first year, and then a $50 per month increase in the 2nd. A month and a half later, I signed the lease, (they hadn't signed it yet) and they then reneged, saying they changed their minds and were now offering me a one year lease.

This is a 150 unit building.

I know other tenants in the building who were given two-year, destabilized leases.

First of all, since my last lease was rent-stabilized and therefore I'm nominally a stabilized tenant under this lease, do I still have the right, as a "stabilized" tenant, to a two-year lease offer, regardless whether the new lease is destabilized? Do I still have this right?

Secondly, do I have the right to consider the new offer of a one-year lease a "new offer" thereby making the new lease effective 120 days after I received it? (which would be about 3 months past the original lease beginning date of August 1). And if that's the case, do they then have to offer me a lease STATING the new beginning date?

Do I have any recourse at all? I feel jilted by these people for backing down on their initial offer, especially knowing that other tenants in the building were provided with two-year leases.

This building has no tenants association.

Please respond quickly, my time is running out!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name