Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Eat the loss and forget the friendship.

Posted by John on August 04, 2000 at 13:33:31:

In Reply to: Roomate pulls a fast one and gives no notice posted by Lilly on August 03, 2000 at 14:58:36:

While you did have a verbal agreement with your former roommate, think about the headache you will have if you try to collect that money. Watch the People's Court and Judge Judy, those shows show good examples of what to expect when you try collect that money in small claims court. Your relationship, which was landlord and tenant (roommates) is over, because he/she already moved. If you start the process of getting that money, then be prepared to hear their side of the story and it may not be pretty.

Do you collect the rent for the month stayed or the month to come? He/she shouldn't have to pay you for days he/she is not there. I assume by your letter that your former roommate wanted to leave your residence as quickly as possible.
Oh well?

: I know it was dumb BUT a friend moved into my apartment for a yeaas a tenant - renting a room - and I did not get a deposit and had no formal lease. He just moved out with one day notice - not paying for the next month, damaged the floor and will not return calls and has kept the keys (I changed to lock). I guess ourf reindship means nothing. Anyhow, there is a record in my bank acocut of his payments (via check) - can I make him pay for the 30 days via Small Claims Court? Isn't he obligaterd to fdo this since there is mail etc coming to my addressin his name and I have this record of deposits? Am a little worried as it is unreported income. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name