Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Tenant's right to lease renewal

Posted by Mark Smith on September 01, 2000 at 00:06:42:

In Reply to: Tenant right to lease renewal posted by Janet on August 29, 2000 at 23:38:52:

You have indicated that your apartment is rent stabilized. Your landlord is required to offer you a renewal lease, or the grounds for not renewing your lease (Golub notice), 150 days to 120 days before your lease expires.

Until your landlord does, continue paying your existing rent. You might want to send your rental payment, along with a demand for your renewal lease, by certified mail.

If your lease expires before September 30, 2000, a one-year renewal would be 2% and a two-year renewal would be 4%. If your lease expires September 30, 2000 or later, a one-year renewal would be 4% and a two-year renewal would be 6%. In general, it's better to choose a one-year renewal.

You can also file a complaint with DHCR about your landlord's refusal to offer you a renewal lease on a timely basis. Any increase will be delayed to reflect the minimum 120-day notice period.

See Section 5, Penalties, of DHCR Advisory Opinion 88-1:

http://www.tenant.net/DHCR_info/Advisory_Opinions/adv88-1.txt

or click on the link at the end of this message

:
: Due to some financial difficulties related to my business, my track record on monthly rent payments has been less than sterling. (I live in NYC [in a rent stabilized apartment].) Before mailing my lease renewal, the landlord's representative has requested a meeting as soon as possible "to discuss various topics with regard to my future residency" and claims that "this dialogue must take place." Since my relationship with the representative is not a good one, I would appreciate knowing in advance whether he has the right to deny offering me a lease renewal, if this meeting is required on my part in order to receive the renewal and my rights with respect to any special "requirements" he may try to impose on me.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name