Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Tenant right to lease renewal

Posted by Janet on August 30, 2000 at 15:44:04:

In Reply to: Re: Tenant right to lease renewal posted by richard on August 30, 2000 at 12:33:10:

Yes, the apartment is rent stabilized, however the landlord has refused to send the lease renewal until after meeting with me. The lease is up at the end of October, and I have no desire to subject myself to his crassness unless absolutely necessary. What are my rights and obligations? And what can he demand?

: No matter what your situation is, the landlord must give you 30 days before expiration to change any aspects of your new renewal lease. When does your lease end? Are you rent stabilized?

: So a couple of options....sign the renrewal fast and send it cetified mail return reciept.....Maybe they will be forced to give you a renweal.

: Also DO NOT even attempt to contact them until after September 1st,

: If they want to change anything they have to give you 30 days notice, so if you talk to them on Sept 5th, any changes cannot take effect until NOV 1st!
:
: Just dont answer the phone, go visit some friends take the long weekend off.. it could gain you an extra month.

: --------------------
: : Due to some financial difficulties related to my business, my track record on monthly rent payments has been less than sterling. (I live in NYC.) Before mailing my lease renewal, the landlord's representative has requested a meeting as soon as possible "to discuss various topics with regard to [my] future residency" and claims that "this dialogue must take place." Since my relationship with the representative is not a good one, I would appreciate knowing in advance whether he has the right to deny offering me a lease renewal, if this meeting is required on my part in order to receive the renewal and my rights with respect to any special "requirements" he may try to impose on me.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name