Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Bait and Switch

Posted by Will on August 27, 2000 at 02:19:19:

In Reply to: Bait and Switch posted by Doomed on August 25, 2000 at 20:24:21:

Most leases have a clause about taking possesion. If you do not move in withing a givin time period the lease is null and void...DO NOT MOVE IN.

If the landlord tries anything it will fall flat in court.

Will

: I signed a lease for an apartment in Brooklyn and just learned that it is not the apartment I was originally shown. When I signed the lease I recognized that the apartment number was incorrect and asked the broker to make the correction which she says she did. Yesterday she called me to tell me that in fact the apartment I was shown was already rented and the lease was correct to begin with. I visited the apartment on the lease today and it is completely unsuitable in comparison, I would have never agreed to live there had I known. The lease I signed stated that it was a two year contract. Now I'm in a bind. I need a place to live and I'm willing to live in the new apartment until I can find another one. What are my legal rights in asking the management company of the building to draft a new lease on a month to month basis and asking for the broker's fee back? Do I need legal reprentation? Should I approach the management company before seeking legal coucil? Any information or contacts would be enormously appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name