Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Check local city laws

Posted by Unstoppable Ed on August 24, 2000 at 18:25:06:

In Reply to: HELP! Over-Population In Apartment Above Me! posted by Chris Morse on August 23, 2000 at 23:26:51:

You can call city hall or your city buildings department to see if there are any local laws about overcrowding. In NYC the rule is 80 square feet of space per person, with one additional child under age 4 allowed.

Your next step would be to speak with your landlord about the situation. If they are making noise or overcrowding he can ask them to stop, or even try to have them evicted in court. He may not want to do this as it is not straightforward -- it can take a while and not have the desired result, particularly if the family is paying rent on time and within their rights by the lease.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name