Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Help me please

Posted by David on August 24, 2000 at 00:47:18:

I saw a place 3 weeks ago with a broker. The place was in the middle of construction, the kitchen was being redone, the bathroom. The floors in the place were hideous and the broker said that the landlord was going to carpet them. The bathtub was GROSS, I wouldn't get in it with shoes on. He said that this would be taken care of as well. The only thing that the landlord wasn't going to do was paint, but he would provide me with paint. I decided that I wanted it. I gave the broker 2 checks, one for the fee and the other for the Security Deposit.
5 days later I met the landlord and we talked about the rules of the yard and what he planned to do with the place. This was the 1st of Aug. I wasn't supposed to move in until the 15th. The construction in the place wasn't done yet, but it was progressing. During this meeting, the landlord said that I could start moving my stuff in if I wanted.
On the 14th, I started to move some boxes in and saw that the floors were still a mess and that the tub was still GROSS. It was extremely late at night and the landlord couldn't be reached. The 15th came and I couldn't move into the place because I couldn't move into a place that I couldn't shower in #1, and the things that I was told were going to be done weren't. On the 16th I went to the apartment and the landlord was there. He said that rent was due on the 15th, this was the 16th. I told him that I couldn't move into the place. He promised up and down that by that weekend, everything would be taken care of. Stupid me, I gave him the check.
We are now on the 24th, nothing has been done, no lease has been signed. I still can't move in. The landlord said that he was misrepresented by the broker, that he never said he was going to put carpet. He also said that the tub is clean, even though there is some black stuff in the bottom of it. The landlord said he will not prorate the rent to a date when I can move in. I want out of there now. My question is, do I have a right to get my money back from the broker and the landlord? If you need anymore info, let me know. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name