Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Pet Eviction

Posted by Regina on August 22, 2000 at 17:15:32:

In Reply to: Pet Eviction posted by Paula on August 20, 2000 at 10:12:17:

When in tenant.net, click on "New York Tenant Info", then "Know Your Tenants Rights" It talks about the pet clause. If the landlord knew that you had the pets, and did not complain for the first four months, then he cannot force you to the rid of the pets. But read about it.

: I live in a 40+ unit rent stablilized building built in 1927 in the South Bronx. I have been here for about 5 years and owned dogs and cats the entire time, as do most of the tenants. Although my lease states no pets,the agent who rented me my original apartment (I have since transferred from a 1 BR to a 2 BR) said not to worry about it. Shortly after I moved in, the manager did threaten me about the pets, but I told her that I had been honest with the agent, who was okay with it. That agent had just resigned, but the manager accepted the agreement that the agent and I had made. Last year, when I requested a transfer to a 2BR, the manager (a new one) initially refused to give us a transfer because of the pets. We could have left the building at that time because our lease was up, but then the manager changed his mind and allowed us the transfer, pets and all. Now I am pregnant, and have been filing some pretty hefty complaints about lack of elevator service, old peeling (lead based?) paint, and unclean water. A third manager, who is brand new, visited my apartment to view the problems and assure me that he'd help me. Suddenly we are hit with a "Notice to Cure."
: Can they do this to me, since they knew I had pets for the past five years and did not make me leave back when my lease was up and I needed a 2BR last year? Also, the legal notice refers erroneously, not to my current apartment, but to my previous apartment. Lastly, and I apologize for my web-ignorance, how can I learn about this "1983 Pet Clause" - is that the squatters' rights for pets that I seem to vaguely recall?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name