Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

The above is true.

Posted by John on August 22, 2000 at 14:20:32:

In Reply to: Re: Renting private home posted by Unstoppable Ed on August 22, 2000 at 13:17:12:

I agree with what Ed wrote, common sense questions need to be asked before commiting to any lease agreement. There are times when home owners rent or lease their houses in return for capital improvements, or add responsibilites the tenant should not have to deal with.

Stay away from that, be very specific about your role as a tenant.

Good Luck

: If you plan to stay there any length of time you should sign a lease. Tenants without a lease are considered "month to month" tenants and their tenancy can be terminated on 30 days notice.

: You can buy a standard lease form at any stationary store that sells legal forms. Two basic things you'll need to negotiate are the amount of rent that you pay and the length of time your lease is for.

: Assuming this is a private house, you should definetly ask about how utilities are billed, and who is responsible for paying (probably you, especially if you can control how they are used). Also ask about trash pickup and any other local laws you might need to know (like required lawn mowing, etc.)

: If your landlord is renting you the house because he's going to be away traveling, then you also need to have a frank discussion with him about what to do if something major breaks down like the furnace. Does he have a service contract with a local company that can fix it ? Or should you arrange to have it fixed and deduct the cost from your rent ?

: Going over these things in advance will can save you both a lot of hassles in the future.

: -Ed
: You can't stop him; he's Unstoppable

: : I am in the process of moving into a home rented from a friend of a friend (you get the idea) and need some help for what questions I should be asking prior to signing the lease (which has yet to surface). I know I'll need to have specified what utilities I will be responsible for, but what other things should I look out for?

: : I am not in NYC, but in Western New York. Rochester to be exact. Anyone know if NY tenant associations outside of NYC?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name