Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

MCI begun prior to moving in

Posted by Mary on July 30, 2000 at 04:56:12:

I received a notice from my landlord asking for MCI improvements that were begun or completed prior to moving in and signing my first lease. The improvements include new windows, new entrance doors and a new intercom. The windows were in prior to moving in, the doors were inoperable (they did not close or lock propery) and the intercom was non-existent. The doors and new intercom were promised to be completed prior to moving in and weren't complete until almost 3-6 months after moving in (unfortunately and not surprisingly, the promise was made verbally). I took them to housing court for the lack of intercom and lack of front doors as well as numerous other problems. After about six months in court and $10,000 of rent in escrow, we received a rent abatement of $5,000. I am in the DHCR process of determining whether the landlord illegally raised my rent from the previous tenant (the rent was increased by $700).
Here are the questions:
Am I responsible for MCIs completed prior to signing of lease and/or for MCIs that were begun prior to signing lease? Also, entrance doors and an intercom are required by law-- am I responsible for paying for them if they were inoperable? (BTW-- this landlord bought the building six months to a year prior to me signing the lease)
Can I use my housing court documentation as proof of landlords bad faith/negligence (there is still no super as required by law.)
They list my apartment as three rooms, I have living room, bedroom, bathroom and the kitchen is in the hallway between the entrance and the living room. I understand that the livingroom and bedroom are each a room but is the kitchen or the bathroom the third room? Also, if there are only windows in two out of the "three" rooms does the window cost really get charged to all "three rooms"
Also, I seem to be the only one in the building who received this notice, is that illegal?

As you can see, I have a lot of questions! Thank you so much for your help!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name