Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Very high electricity bill...eric......

Posted by Richard on July 27, 2000 at 23:38:18:

In Reply to: Re: Very high electricity bill posted by Eric Freedman on July 27, 2000 at 23:04:58:

Well lemme put it to ya this way.......

Do you like your apartment? is it a nice apartment? Is it convienent? nice location? ammnenites? are there very few other apartments you can rent fast? Do you intend to stay there for years if you had a choice?

Then pay the bill

And get the landlord to fix the AC it should ALWAYS work on auto!.
If that is a heat pump the same thing could happen in Winter!

=====================================================================

: Hi guys.

: I'm sure you're all dying to know why my electricity bill was so high so I guess I'll have to tell you. Turns out my air conditioner was turned to "auto" and "cool," meaning that the fan was supposed to be turning on and off in order to keep the apartment temperature at the specified level (the temp was set to about 70 I believe). Trouble is the fan never went on. After realizing that this might have been the problem, I tested it mutliple times and found that it was broken--the fan only turns on when it is set to "on," not when it is set at "auto". So the compressor, located on the roof where we can't hear it, was running for a month and a half at full power and used up $225 worth of electricity. Of course, we assumed the unit was off because we never felt any cold air or heard any noise because the fan was off.

: So the question is, who is responsible for paying for the elecricity? The landlord is looking into it but she told me over the phone that we should have realized it was broken two months ago and told her about it then. Of course, if we had realized it was broken then we would have told her right away, but we really had no way of knowing the thing was on, unless we specifically looked at the little switch. But since we never use the air conditioner, and we never felt any air, we assumed it was off until we got the huge bill. Is the landlord obligated to pay because the unit was defective when we moved in and caused us to have an exorbitantly high electric bill?

: -Eric

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name