Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Guest Who Won't Leave

Posted by louis on July 27, 2000 at 15:34:09:

In Reply to: Guest Who Won't Leave posted by Charles on July 27, 2000 at 14:59:12:

: O.K., I'm a sucker, I know. I had a friend who moved to the city and needed a place to stay. So I let them crash on my sofa for two months. Ath the end of the second month, I said that they could no longer stay there. This friend said they still had not located anythign that they coudld afford. So I said that if they wanted to contribute $100/week they could stay for another two months. They agreed and said this was fine. Well, of course, the two months ends this week. Every week this person has paid me cash. Now, the last week suddenly he asks if he can pay with a money order. This seemed kind of fishy to me so I told them that I would not accept this form of payment. Some of my co-workers are saying that since I invited the guy into my home in the first place that now they have a legal right to stay in the apt. and I could be charged with assault or illegal lockout if I try to forcibly remove this person and that the police will have to let him stay. Other colleagues say that we had a verbal agreement and that this is sufficient and if it comes to the point the police would help me get him out. Can anyone tell me the correct procedures if he doesn't leave voluntarily. Would I need to file some kind of legal order? Can anyone advise? Help!

This is a "lawyer" question--and I aint no lawyer--but my feeling is that if he wont leave you can call the cops. Tresspassing or disorderly conduct--something like that. He has no right to stay.
Best thing to do is to ask him nicely to leave. If he won't leave, lock him out. (Change the locks) Again--I'm not a lawyer, and maybe there is some legal beagle out there with a better answer.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name