Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Renewal leases are to continue the tenancy.

Posted by Peter on July 27, 2000 at 13:01:26:

In Reply to: PLZ READ + RESPOND ASAP ..thank you posted by Bryan Knight on July 27, 2000 at 09:46:57:

The first lease is enforcable for the time stated, because landlords commit to providing you services. Any renewal lease given are an extention of that lease and should allow you to move with just a 30 day notice so that landlords can prepare the apartment for another tenant.

If you change your mind after giving 30 days notice, the landlord is now put on hold with what you have decided to do. By signing a new lease you now have a NEW lease agreement for 6 months. If the new lease is an extension then you can still give 30 days notice and move.

Check that out.

: I had just signed a 6 month lease with my current landlord, whom I obtained the apt because we are friends.We had a 6 month lease that started in Nov '99 + ended May 1st, 2000. There was no renewal of a lease at this time. After that lease ended I was looking for a new apt where my roommate was planning on staying.

: July 7 I did receive an offer to move to a new location....Informing my landlord that I may be leaving in 30 days...After thinking about it, I decided not to accept the new apt, informing my landlord of this.whereas my LL all of the sudden springs a lease on us, kind of 'out of spite', for us to sign(another 6 month)..to keep me there cause we are such good tenants.SO Im thinking that she is doing this just because she knows that I am looking for a new place..With not enough time...She basically 'forced' us to sign it when she knocked on the door, no time to consider...Not knowing how long it would actually take to find a new apt I signed the new lease.+ regret it now.I really want to get out... Now, basically what I am asking is that
: A. the lease that we just signed does not go into effect until AUGUST 1
: Does that Mean I can change my nind between now + july 31 + get out of the lease?
: B. What could be my other options be

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name