Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Eviction - desperate for advice

Posted by Jamie Mancini on July 27, 2000 at 11:39:05:

I really need some help here!!! I smelled gas in my apartment last night. I called the Con Ed emergency gas number and they dispatched a worker. He was in our apt within an hour. He did some readings and it turns out we have high levels of Aldehyde (a form of CO) He turned off our hot water and said to call the landlord to have aplumber come and fix it. The hot water would be turned back on as soon as it is considered safe by Con Ed. I called the landlord and spoke to her mother. She said her husband (landlords 80 yr old father) would come and fix it the next morning (7/27) Within 5 minutes the landlord called screaming like a madwoman - that we should have never called con ed - and that she is our landlord and she will handle all problems. Well the reason I called con ed is because I didnt want her father to come around and try and fix it. Espescially since the odor is in my bedroom where the hot water heater is. This is my life we are talking about and I was not relying on him - since he has a history of using duct tape to remedy ANY situation. I told the landlord that I could have died and she said I was crazy. And then she told me that the back rent from one of the roommates is now my responsibility and due on 7/27. Now I have it in writing that this back rent should be applied to next months rent. Anyway - she finished off by saying I WAS EVICTED. She is not playing games and I am sure has some pretty shady lawyers as she is a shady character herself. One would ask why the hell is she mad that we called con ed - Well I believe that she figured if we called her - she could dispatch her trusty old dad and cover it up to save a dime, but now that con ed has issued a warning (which I am holding) there is no way they can do a little shabby inside job and they have to actually pay for a real plumber. She also stated that any costs arising out of this will be my responsibility. Please help!!! I am going crazy and need to know my rights. Also if she files an eviction, how long can I stay there after the notice. She has no plans of returning our $1550 security deposit so I plan on staying until I get my money back in rent. Please email me with any advice - because I sure can use it!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name