Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Pay it and keep the receipt.

Posted by John on July 24, 2000 at 22:22:33:

In Reply to: Is it legal for a Broker to charge a fee on my existing living space? I am supposed to finalize this soon, so please help... posted by Chris on July 24, 2000 at 17:36:27:

What is happening is that they are treating you as if you are a new tenant.
You should have been added to the lease two years ago, now you must pay the fee.

Sorry.

: My roomate who holds the lease is moving out and their lease runs out Sep. 1st. The landlord said I can renew the lease on that date, but must go through his broker, to draw up the lease. The Broker is trying to charge a fee equal to 10% of of a years rent in as part of the lease renewal process. I am concerned if I refuse to pay the fee, the broker won't give me the lease and wil try to kick me out. A tenants lawyer suggested paying the fee and then withholding the fee from my future rent. Is there any other option, as paying them at all seems not only immoral, but illegal. Can the broker withhold the lease and evict me if I refuse to pay this fee? Also, on top of first and last month's rent, they are trying to charge a month's security deposit as well as the brokers fee. I have been living in the space for nearly two years. What are my options. I need to remedy this this week, any help would be great...
: Chris

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name