Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Pets

Posted by richard on July 24, 2000 at 21:27:39:

In Reply to: Pets posted by Roberta on July 24, 2000 at 19:12:13:

So what is the problem? They changed the rules and if EVERYBODY got a notice like yours, then there is NO discrimination...so then sign it or move!

And get a CAT!........... we have 3.

---------------------------------------------------------

: I live in a rent stabilized apartment in New York City. The building has about 300 apartments and is a mix of both condo and rental units. I recently received my rent renewal papers and along with the usual documents a form was enclosed with the heading "Pet Rider". It states, in part, as follows:

: The Tenant is prohibited from harboring a dog without the express written consent of the Landlord. The Tenant represents and warrants that Tenant does not have a dog and does not intend to move one into the apartment knowing that the Landlord is relying upon the truth of this representation and warrant.

: ....strict adherence to this Rider by the Tenant is a material requirement of this Lease. The Tenant's failure to strictly comply with the obligation of this Rider shall be considered a serious, substantial, and material violation of this Lease and tenancy, and the owner will elect to terminate the lease and tenancy based upon a violation of this rider.

: The Rider then provides that if the tenant currently has a dog and the dog dies, the Tenant is prohibited from replacing the dog and if the tenant does, it will be deemed a substantial breach of the Lease.

: The Rider is written on plain paper..no heading or identification of any kind, although it is referred to in the landlord's covering letter. Also, there is a place for signature by the tenant only, nothing indicating that the landlord will sign the form also.

: I have lived in the building for 25 years or more. During this entire time, dogs have always been permitted; in fact,it was not unusual for a tenant to have more then one animal. I'm certain that the condo board changed the owners' by-laws and are now trying to get the entire building to conform to their rules.

: I do not want to sign the rider. My questions are do I have to sign in order to renew my lease, and, if it is possible that it is not a requirement of renewal, how do I proceed. Do I inform my landlord that I will not sign the form in which case he will probably not process the lease or do I sign under protest and then attempt to have the rider voided.

:

:

:
:

:
:

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name