Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Out of luck? Not really.

Posted by Eli on July 24, 2000 at 10:55:21:

In Reply to: Out of luck? Not really. posted by John on July 24, 2000 at 09:36:47:

: True, but as a month to month tenant the landlord must give you a 30 day notice, then file a request with housing court to evict you (called a holdover procceding) and the landlord must still provide you with normal services (heat, hot water, etc.) and repairs as needed.

But I'm not a month-to-month tenant. I had a one-year lease which runs out in the middle of September. I'm not clear on what my status, if any, would be after that.

: Be very careful when it comes to paying the wrong landlord. I had that problem a few years ago and I had to go to court (for non-payment) to verify who the true landlord was.

Thanks-- it's not really a mystery in this case since the old landlords used to live above me and the new ones live next door.

: It's hard to find a two or three bedroom rent-stabilized apartment, but one bed room apartments can be used for more than one person.
: I turned a one bedroom R-S apartment into a two bedroom by not having a living room. No one visits me so I don't care what people think. Queen size bed in the livingroom and small beds for the kids in the bedroom. try that.

If I lived with someone, it would make things easier, but I don't. The new people who are driving up rents in my neighborhood all seem to be 23-year-old guys who are willing to crowd into tiny shares in twos and threes... I was one of them once, now I feel like they're the enemy. Sigh...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name