Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

unregulated building... sold... out of luck?

Posted by Eli on July 23, 2000 at 13:10:05:

Okay, last year I moved to Brooklyn, NY, and found what looked like a decent place to be. A ground-floor apartment in a little house (four units, so by definition unregulated, I assume) whose owners I got along with just great. As luck would have it, they moved out and sold the place last month, and the new owners would rather be rich than well-liked, so it looks like I'll be moving again soon... like in about seven weeks, when my lease runs out.

Here are my questions.

1. If I read the laws correctly, the new owners have no obligation to offer me a lease renewal at any particular time, unlike in a regulated apartment where they would have had to send me a renewal offer last month. They don't even have to talk to me about it. True?

2. The old owners should have sent me the new owners' names and addresses via registered mail last month. True? (They didn't, but I don't see what good that does me.)

3. The house apparently has a fairly serious building code violation, which I didn't realize until the new owner accidentally mentioned it. It will not be easy for them to fix. Does this give me any kind of advantage? (I doubt it.)

p.s. Yes, I know I should have moved into a rent-stabilized place, but last year I didn't have a lot of time or money or knowledge... and if I have to move now, it looks like it'll be even harder.

(My E-mail address above is real, if you take out the xyz.)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name