Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

eviction noice

Posted by Tasha on July 21, 2000 at 22:22:38:

My neighbor has been sent a letter from our landlord's lawyer.The landlord is relatively new he just bought the building last year August. It is a letter that he is "violating a substantial obligation of your tenancy" it goes
"You are not maintaining the premises as your primary residence."
The fact of the matter is that he was laid off of his job a year and a half ago. He has a house he bought (in the 70's) upstate that he used to use on the weekends but now spends more time there. He comes back EVERY week for two or three days (depending on mood, traffic weather etc.)
What constitutes primary residency?
His driver's license and car is registered at his house.(they noted that in the letter) I believe he did that for his convenience. They also noted he "owns such property" and "maintains telephone, gas and electrical utility service." he does that concern them?
Note: he no longer maintains utilities in his name at the apartment. why?
here's where it gets complicated.
My mother is his roommate(she and I are leased to the apartment we shared for 14 years I am her daughter now of age(26) and live here(next door to him). She started spending more time next door in his apartment and eventually moved when he lost his job. We all switched utiliy companies. The ones in his apartment in her name the ones leased her apartment in my name. She pays rent and utilities next door while he tries to maintain the his house.I maintain the bills in her apartment. Is this a problem?

FINALLY question three
The letter also state that he is "responsible for legal fees incurred by the Landlord with regard to the preparation and service of this Notice to Cure and any and all work done prior to and subsequently thereto, based upon your default." is he?

sorry not so finally:
The landlord STILL hasn't returned with, extremely faulty, leases that he tried to serve in May which were not appropriate for WAY too many reasons (tried to get us to renew for only a year, he crossed out the second year option. failed to explain the increases (almost 50%!), AND there is a large hole in the bedroom ceiling (you can see day light through it!)which has made it uninhabitable for a long period of time in his apartment.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name