Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: You seem to be in a pretty good position...

Posted by louis on July 21, 2000 at 10:57:38:

In Reply to: Re: You seem to be in a pretty good position... posted by kristin on July 20, 2000 at 14:31:58:

: we do have a lawyer. he is very good, but he doesn't ever forecast things, as they might not happen. he thinks we are certainly in the right and that it is up to dhcr to act accordingly. i can say that we've done everything we can. the building is over 100 yrs old and all original wood. we had an architect write up a report about the disrepair of the building after the landlord claimed 'substantial rehab' due to a fire that happened 'between '85 and '87 which they claimed destroyed the building. we have proof from the fire dept. and the architect that that never happened. hopefully, this will all work in our favor. i have the back rent in a regular savings account. it would kill me to give it to them, though, after all of this.
: thanks for your help

Your lawyer is smart not to forecast the outcome or how much time it is going to take--because he or she hasn't the foggiest idea!
The DHCR is a nightmare. You can have the best lawyer and get a whacko decision (that happened to me). Or you can handle it yourself and get a fair decision swiftly (that happened to me too). The cases can drag on for years or take months or weeks. Again, I've had things go swiftly and drag on too.
Some of their people are blithering idiots and reputedly on the take. Others are fair and professional.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name