Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: dropped water caused a flood!

Posted by Sue on July 20, 2000 at 17:50:52:

In Reply to: dropped water caused a flood! posted by Ms. E on July 18, 2000 at 16:51:33:

Yes. You are laible. If you do not have renters insurance then the neighbor downstairs should give you his bills for repairs and you should reimburse him. Or you could find a place to have repairs, cleaning, painting, etc done. If you have insurance, call them immediately and put in a claim. If you do not have renter's insurance you should get it right now although it will not cover this incident. It is inexpensive - like $150 a year and fantastic to have.

: Hi,
: I am a tennant in a three story apartment complex in Syracuse NY. We live on the middle floor. One night I was cleaning a large container in the tub, I over filled it and when I picked it up I slipped and water fell all over the bathroom floor. I tried to mop it up but it spilled out on to th hall rug. It also leaked into the apartment below me. I spent most of the night trying to get the water out of the hall rugs and apparently the tennant below me did nothing to curtail the damage. Our maintainace man did not respond until the next morning. He sent a carpet crew to take care of the rugs At 2pm. My rug just needed a little water removal but the tennant downstairs had to have the pad removed. I offered to help the tennat downstairs remove the water with a shop vac that I borrowed, but he said wait til 2:00 when he would be out of work....
: Am I Liable for the damages downstairs???????????????

: E

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name