Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

rent strike, p.a.r., & threat of eviction

Posted by kristin on July 20, 2000 at 12:09:21:

I have a pretty complicated situation and was hoping that some people could answer parts of this. i am currently waiting on a p.a.r. decision. my whole building is on the same docket. my landlord has tried to evict all of us since filing. he did not follow procedure in doing this, however; he cashed a rent check afterward. so, now, i've not paid in 4 months. further, my roommate is moving out and i'm taking on a new one. will that cause a problem? i was on the original lease (the landlord has let everyone's leases expire, though).
getting back to the rent strike--we have had virtually no services in the building during my entire tennancy. will we have to pay back the entire amount of rent we've withheld? when we went to housing court the judege told us that he was NOT going to make us pay rent (only that we should 'consider paying something if this drags on for too long'). he didn't even make us put the money into escrow. has anyone been through this? everything's on hold until the dhcr rules on our par, so we're waiting for the other shoe to drop.
thanks for any help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name