Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

apartment or not apartment

Posted by Artie on July 17, 2000 at 17:24:37:

I have lived in a rent stabilized apartment in Brooklyn for (4) years now. Lately I have spoken with a old tenant who explained that what I have been calling a "apartment" is not an apartment at all. My place has (four) walls with the stove and sink both in the same room that I sleep. I assumed it was a kitchenette. I do have to share the bathroom which is in the "common area" hallway, which the other tenants use to climb the stairway to their apartments on the higher floors. In all, there is a total of four bathrooms, one on each floor. There are two "apartments" on each floor. Not to mention that the landlord has renovated the basement into another apartment which he allows the super of the building to live. He also built a bathroom down there too. Which now makes the building a NINE dwelling building. I am pretty sure the landlord did not have the proper authorization to transform the basement. Last month I went to court with the landlord for rent arrears, which we agrred upon that he must make repairs and I would make payments on the arrears. The repairs were half-assed, and now there is more to be repaired. Some repairs need to be made in the bathroom which I share with my neighbor. Since I never signed any papers stating that the repairs were completed, and now I need more work done, can I take the landlord to court and claim that his repairs were incomplete. And can I file a complaint about the use of the basement. I have kept up with my side of the agreement and paid my rent, but the repairs ar still incomplete. Should I take this matter back to the judge? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name