Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Domestic Partners and Leases

Posted by Mark Smith on July 13, 2000 at 12:26:24:

In Reply to: Domestic Partners and Leases posted by Diane Richardson on July 13, 2000 at 11:23:58:

As your landlord said, you and your boyfriend could leave things the way they are. Then the lease would be renewed under renewal lease guidelines. Effective for leases with renewal dates of October 1, 2000 through September 30, 2001, that would be 4% for a one-year lease or 6% for a two-year lease.

If the landlord is willing to sign a lease with you and your boyfriend, he is entitled to a vacancy increase -- a minimum of 18% for a one-year lease or a minimum of a 20% increase for a two-year lease. Because your boyfriend's original lease was signed 10 years ago, that would add another 6% (10 years x 0.6% per year),
making for a 24% increase for a one-year lease or 26% for a two-year lease.

:
: In January, I moved into my boyfriend's rent-stabilized Manhattan two-bedroom apartment. He's under the original lease, which he signed 10 years ago with his then domestic partner. She left the city 5 years ago, and my boyfriend has lived alone there, without bothering to have his ex-girlfriend's name removed from the lease. The landlord knows that the ex-girlfriend moved out 5 years ago.
: The landlord was notified when I moved in. When we asked to have the name on the lease changed from the ex-girlfriend's name to my name, the landlord said he would do so, but would increase the rent by $250 per month. The landlord said my boyfriend had the option of leaving the lease unchanged, without a rent increase. Is this legal? I don't want to be evicted if something (heaven forbid!) would happen to my boyfriend.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name