Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

HELP -Possible Eviction from NYCHA apt. / Unauthorized Occupancy Without Housing Consent

Posted by jk on July 11, 2000 at 11:28:20:

I have been living in a NYCHA apartment for a year after my mother died. I was not listed on the lease as an occupant for the two years prior to her death but lived there are cared for her as she had terminal cancer. Previous to these two horrible years I was on the lease since my birth (approximately 26 years). It is where I grew up. Upon her death I informed the mgmt office of the fact and heard nothing from them until now. I have been paying the rent over the past year using my mother’s pre-signed checks. A letter was slipped under my door saying that a termination of my lease is being considered because of Unauthorized Occupancy Without Housing Consent. They are giving me an “opportunity to discuss this matter in detail” in a few days at the mgmt office. I can reschedule the appointment if it is not convenient.

I need to now how I should proceed. Is this meeting a legal one? Is it a discussion? Should I have legal representation or advice? What can I expect from this meeting? I have familiarized myself with eviction proceedings on the website but does the NYCHA have it’s own procedures? How can I find a tenant attorney who has experience with NYCHA cases? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

JK

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name