Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Tax liens and landlord suing for remainder of time on lease

Posted by wilfire99 on July 06, 2000 at 22:41:27:

My friend and his girlfriend just broke up for the second time and this time there is no going back. They both signed a 2 year lease for an apt for $2000.00 per month rent. He moved out and she wants to stay. Now she refuses to pay the whole amount of the rent and told the landlord to sue for the other half. Although the landlord can do this, my friend has IRS tax liens. Now, my question is, Can my friend offer a settlement amount to the landlord to be removed from the lease and make his ex girl-friend the only tenant responsible for the rent? If the landlord does choose to sue for the $24,000.00 (24 months at $1000.00 each)and gets a judgement, will the landlord have to wait until the tax liens are paid (10 years)? Will it be in the best interest of the landlord to take a settlement amount of say $3,000.00-$6,000.00 to remove my friend from the lease and give his ex gilfirend 3-6 months to find another place to live?
Also, is it legal for my friend to offer a settlement to be removed from the lease?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name