Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: CO-OP or not CO-OP: OAG

Posted by Anna on July 04, 2000 at 17:01:27:

In Reply to: CO-OP or not CO-OP posted by Troy ODendHal on July 04, 2000 at 04:14:03:

: I have just rented an apartment that is in an eight unit building. The Owner claims that it has been brought to the Co-op market but then said the tenant successfully fought it. DHCR has the address in the Database with a complaint number on it. The GUy at the DHCR Office in Brooklyn ( Angel) said it should be registered but it is not. I have sent the wife to the Records room at the Municipal Building,and I am awaiting the return. all the units in the building are rentals and no apartments have been sold as co-ops and I did not meet with board,does anyone know whatis going on? Anyone? HELP! I think I am being swindled!

In a non-eviction plan, a co-op can be declared effective with only 15% of the shares allocated to the apartments purchased by 'bona fide purchasers' which means people who live in or intend to live in the apartment. In an eight-unit building, this could be 1.2 units or if they use shares or square feet, 1 larger-than-average unit. Once converted, all previously occupied rent stabilized or controlled apartments remain regulated only until the conversion tenant vacates: then they become free-market apartments. Call or go to the Office of the Attorney General, Real Estate Financing Bureau to find the status of any building's co-op conversion. There is some general information online, but no building-specific data: http://www.oag.state.ny.us/realestate/realestate.html

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name