Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Thank You So Much

Posted by Resher on July 04, 2000 at 09:37:17:

In Reply to: Re: leaving Queens: illegal-three link is MIA posted by Anna on July 03, 2000 at 18:25:41:

: : Ms. Marta Navarro (Owner)
: : 59-22 163 St
: : Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
: : 718-353-2945

: : Two/Three family house with 2 tenants on first floor, 3 or 4 in basement, owner and her family (4 people) upstairs.
: : Problems: Last 2 years--Water Leaks (Kitchen and bathroom), Electricity problems, plaster/paint falling off ceiling, telephone line abuse (Bell Atlantic intervened). Blaring music, Neglect, Privacy issues, Harassment.

: : The DHCR office has no jurisdiction. I called Central Complaints (212-960-4800) and requested an inspection. Was given a Case/Complaint No.
: : I notified owner/landlady in writing that I will move out by end of July due to her violations, paid July (instead of using my Security Deposit).
: : Ms. Navarro threatened me over the phone because "I should not complain," claims that I broke a washing machine and she is keeping my Security Deposit.

: : In spite of current laws, it looks like owners of non-stabilized, non-rent-controlled housing units can violate everybody's rights.

: : Besides going to a lawyer, what can I done? Where can I go? The Attorney General's Office was not much help, either.

: : Thank you in advance.

: : Resher

: You can sue her in Small Claims Court for a rent rebate for violations of the warrty of habitability and of the covenant of quiet enjoyment of the premises.

: Two things to do:

: 1. security deposit: prevention / insurance. Try to get her to sign a check-out sheet listing no damages when you leave; make an appointment for her to do the inspection and collect the keys. Have witnesses there; use a video-cam; use a still cam. If she does not return the security within a 'reasonable' amount of time (no definition: 30 days is fair), sue her in Small Claims and report her to the AG.

: 2. illegal conversion, possibly. Read the Certificate of Occupancy posted in the common halls or go to the Dept of Buildings to get a copy. Is that house approved for one, two, or three families. Report it. The Queens President had a good info-page on this subject, but they're re-vamping their website at the moment.
: Here's the DoB page:

: and the Queens homepage:

: and an excerpt from the missing illegal conversion page:

: How do I report an illegal apartment in my neighborhood?

: The NYC Department of Buildings is responsible for investigating complaints of illegal apartments. If you know of an illegal apartment in your area, you can file a complaint by calling or writing to:


: New York City Department of Buildings
: Queens Borough Office
: 126-06 Queens Boulevard
: Kew Gardens, NY 11415
: (718) 520-3402


: In the alternative, you can call your local community board or one of the elected officials who represents your area.

: Your rights as a tenant facing eviction from an illegal dwelling:
: Queens Legal Services Corp.
: 89-02 Sutphin Boulevard
: Jamaica, New York 11435
: (718) 657-8611

: Search in this forum for 'illegal conversion" "illegal-three" for previous posts on this subject.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name