Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Water & Electr Problems, Bathroom Hole, Harassment

Posted by Resher on July 03, 2000 at 17:02:21:

Ms. Marta Navarro (Owner)
59-22 163 St
Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
718-353-2945

Two/Three family house with 2 tenants on first floor, 3 or 4 in basement, owner and her family (4 people) upstairs.
Problems: Last 2 years--Water Leaks (Kitchen and bathroom), Electricity problems, plaster/paint falling off ceiling, telephone line abuse (Bell Atlantic intervened). Blaring music, Neglect, Privacy issues, Harassment.

The DHCR office has no jurisdiction. I called Central Complaints (212-960-4800) and requested an inspection. Was given a Case/Complaint No.
I notified owner/landlady in writing that I will move out by end of July due to her violations, paid July (instead of using my Security Deposit).
Ms. Navarro threatened me over the phone because "I should not complain," claims that I broke a washing machine and she is keeping my Security Deposit.

In spite of current laws, it looks like owners of non-stabilized, non-rent-controlled housing units can violate everybody's rights.

Besides going to a lawyer, what can I done? Where can I go? The Attorney General's Office was not much help, either.

Thank you in advance.

Resher

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name