Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Credit reports and bank account numbers

Posted by sue on June 22, 2000 at 18:02:17:

In Reply to: Credit reports and bank account numbers posted by Vonetta on June 22, 2000 at 13:18:22:

: Has anyone had the experience of a landlord requesting a bank account number when doing a credit check on you? I was recently asked of that information regarding an apartment I was interested in, and I refused to give it. That seems shady to me--why would they need your bank ACCOUNT number? Anyway, what did you do in the same situation? And is that even legal?

It's pretty standard to ask for bank account numbers when checking credit, in my experience. (Anyway, whenever you give someone a check, you're giving out your checking account number.) But if it makes you uncomfortable, ask your bank to indicate on your account that withdrawals can only be made if two pieces of I.D. are presented (e.g., credit card, driver's license), including at least one photo I.D. It might take a minute or two longer to get your money out of the bank, but it's worth it for your peace of mind (I've done it, because I had the same concern you did). (And no one can get money out of your account from an ATM unless they have your ATM card and pin number).

But don't give out any information until you're ready to play ball and you're sure you want the apartment.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name