Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Death in Family and taking over apt? Thanks Rich and Anna

Posted by Anna on June 15, 2000 at 17:31:03:

In Reply to: Death in Family and taking over apt? Thanks Rich and Anna posted by Afron on June 15, 2000 at 15:07:23:

: Hey guys. My girlfriend and I were inspired to investigate this situation after both of your postings. We thank you both for taking the time to post some valuable information for us. My girlfriend approached the management company and they said that she will be able to keep the apartment, the rent will be raised a few hundred dollars and repairs will be made. Sounds like a good thing.

: I don't want to brag but it looks like may turn out nicely. Thanks Rich and Anna for all the information.

You may have gotten a good deal, but please take it to a tenant lawyer before she signs anything! Some of the Tenant Clinics (some listed on Tenant.Net or call Met Council 212.693.0550) have lawyers who will review your papers, including printouts of the case Richard posted and the summary I did, for free. Some assemblymen/councilman's offices do too.

If she can establish succession rights, the rent goes up $0.00. All those repairs? required by law even if the apartment was 'free market' except the electrical upgrade and NEW appliances.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name