Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

no cooking gas--should we fight for a rebate?

Posted by Stacy on June 12, 2000 at 12:37:20:

I'm in a degregulated Manhattan apartment. Two weeks ago, the landlord shut off the cooking gas because of a gas leak. For the first few days they tried to blame the problem on ConEd; then they decided to replace all the gas pipes in the the building. This involved knocking two big holes in our kitchen wall (with all the resultant dust, plaster, and dirt everywhere), and turning off the gas for at least another week. (Three weeks total, at minimum.) I've inquired about a partial rent refund, which was denied. The managing agent said they'll buy an electric cooking coil for us instead.

Are there any rules about what services must be provided in unregulated apartments? (Checked our lease--it only mandates running water and heat.) If I took this to housing court, would I have a case? (I'm not particularly eager to take it to court, since I doubt our lease would be renewed next year if we annoy the landlords.)

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name