Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: second court appearance

Posted by artie on June 09, 2000 at 14:02:13:

In Reply to: second court appearance posted by artie on June 08, 2000 at 17:32:47:

:Thank You very much for responding. Yes, I was paying rent. I have never stopped paying rent since I have had the apartment. When we went to court, the judge dismissed the cas because the landlord didnt have documentation to enough to present to the judge. As a matter of fact, I think the same docket # will be used for this court appearance. I have tried to keep all of my receipts and letters from the landlords since I moved in. I want to prove to the judge that this landlord was not getting receipts from the landlord during the time I was living there without a lease. Yesterday I found out that by signing the two-year lease he offered me after the court case was dissmissed, he was allowed to raise my rent. It went up $20 a month. That didnt help me with keeping up with my other utility bills at all. He only offered me the lease because the judge told him that it was illegal to not have offered me one in the first place. Also, the building is an eight family dwelling, but the landlord has transformed the basement into a apartment. We now have noplace to store our belongings. The utility companies have no way of reading the meters, thus making them bill me on estimated readings. Every few months or so I end up with bills being backed up after they have finally gained entrance to the basement. On numerous times these companies have threatened to disconnect my services. Is there any more advice that you can give me berfore I go to court.

I have lived in my apartment since 1996. About a year later the building was sold. The new landlord signed me a 1 year lease. After the first was up the new landlord gave me another lease. After that year, he didnt give me a new lease. So for the next year I was living in the apartment without a lease. After a few disagreements about monies due, the landlord gave me a choice of either going to court, or signing an agreement to pay a certain amount of money. After months and months of trying to pay off the money, I eventually started getting backed up on the current months' rents. So he took me to court. The case was dismissed, I was given a two-year lease, but the landlord still insisted that I owed him back payments that he was trying to collect in court. I attempted to pay the past due monies, but once again found myself backed up on the rent. SO, next week I will find myself in court with the landlord- fighting eviction again. My question is will I be evicted even if I have receipts showing that I was attempting to pay my rents. Oh, I also was paying in CASH, so all the proof I have is the receipts I got from the landlord. I live in Brooklyn, NY. Can someone get back to me ASAP...thanks
:

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name