Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: only one name allowed on the lease

Posted by John on June 09, 2000 at 13:32:25:

In Reply to: only one name allowed on the lease posted by Fred on June 08, 2000 at 16:14:46:

: 1) what is my friend liable for given that she's not on the lease but her father is the guarantor? (I'm guessing a lot)

A) Big mistake, your friends father is responsible for the lease agreement. If there is a falling out between the couple then the father (if the rent is not paid) will be charged for the amount due. The only way he can collect the amount from her friend is to take him to small claims court.

: 2) why do management agencies only allow one roommate on a lease? (I've seen this happen before)

A) A tenant can have another person live with them without adding them to the lease. Adding another person to the lease means higher rent (adjusted) and as a leased person, they can have one additional person. Since this a one bedroom apartment, it is a smart way to limit the number of people living there.
This applies to couples who have children and single people who find someone later during the lease agreement.

: 3) Is there anything my friend can do now to protect herself in case she has opened herself up to a big liability?

A) Not really, unless the father speaks to the managing agent and explains to them that he no longer wants to be co-signer for this rental agreement.
Since the lease is with a non-stablized apartment, wait for the end of the lease to bring this up and let the managing agent deal with the conditions. Either they move, they get another co-signer, like his family or add her to the lease. There should not be a problem unless they are behind in their rent (or have been).

Co-signers never learn that when the primary person doesn't pay creditors go after the co-signers.

Good luck

: The apartment is a one-bedroom, non-stabilized in NYC.

: Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name