Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Can I make prime tenant lower rent?

Posted by DHCR on June 08, 2000 at 20:08:06:

In Reply to: Can I make prime tenant lower rent? posted by Scott on June 08, 2000 at 17:18:11:

: The situation (bear with me):

: In Manhattan, 10 units in rent-controlled and/or stabilized building (don't know which; moved to NYC 2 years ago, still learning).

call DHCR 718-739-6400 ASAP: ask for a Rent History on the apartment. It will be sent to 'Occupant', so you should receive it. Then you will have fact #1: what is the legal regulated rent for the apartment? Ask for an Overcharge Complaint form just in case.

In the meantime, learn about your rights on tenant.net on the New York Tenants page and on the DHCR pages.

When you've done this, rewrite your questions.

Sounds like an illegal sublet with overcharge: sublet means he doesn't live there.
Sounds like he's trying to pass you off as his roommate: roommate means he does live there.
You could both be evicted by his landlord if this apartment is stabilized. If Prime wants you out, he has to go the 30-day notice route: look that up here too.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name