Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Victim of burglary

Posted by richard on June 08, 2000 at 08:54:20:

In Reply to: Victim of burglary posted by Lan Tuazon on June 07, 2000 at 10:13:52:

For $218 a year which is what I pay for $100,000 liability and $40,000 contents coverage you wouldnt be asking this question.....

You have no renters insurance, and a Business..... so you blame the landlord when YOU know there are security problems.......

Take responsiblity for YOUR cheapness and eat the loss.....then buy some renters insurance.

And you want to give up a rent stabilized apartment to boot!

------------------------------------------------------------------

: I live in a rentstabilized apartment in Brooklyn, NY. I was recently burglarized on the 28th of May with business and property loss of $5283. Is the landlord liable for our loss and cover it out of building insurance? The landlord may have violated our safety in the building with insecure entrances(no self-locking door and intercoms installed even though it is a 8 unit apartment) and the fire escape ladder is left down making the building accessible to outsiders. We demanded a security gate to be installed by the fire escape window which was the burglar's point of entry. We understand that the security gate is a safety fire violation but she could have installed retractable or easy access security gates.
: I need to follow up on this immediately as my lease is about to expire. What are my options? Also there are a lot of building and helath violations on the building that I can use as leverage for her action. Thank you for you assistance and information.
: Sincerely,
: Lan Tuazon

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name