Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: faulty paperwork managements fault

Posted by gary on June 06, 2000 at 18:59:33:

In Reply to: faulty paperwork managements fault posted by Taralynn Kantor on June 03, 2000 at 03:41:53:

: I am a former student/renter in Chico, California. There is no renters board or renter's rights in Chico to my knowledge. I have a written lease assumption. There are 4 units in the apartment was built in 1930/40's.

: I have assumed the lease of a renter who assumed the previous lease, so most of the paperwork (move in/move out itemization, insurance facts, and residential lease-rental agreement and deposit reciept) are in the twice removed tenants name. The paperwork I signed is the lease assumption and lease assumption fee paid by the immediate prior tenant. The lease is due to run out July 31, 2000, signed by the twice removed tenant to which I assumed responsibility with the lease assumption. I did not sign a lease renewal. However, in April I recieved paperwork (that I still have on file) stating that my move-out date was June 1, 2000. My mother called to confirm that date and it was orally confirmed. I was at my walk-out on June 1, 2000 when come to find out that "someone" had mistakenly mailed the notice of the June 1, 2000 walk-out and that my lease assumption still holds me responsible until July 31, 2000.

: My problem is that I am completly moved out, I am currently living out of the area and I have no intention of paying of the June/July rent due to faulty information on thier part. I have completed a walk-out with a third party who has made a noterized statement in regards to the condition of the unit. There is damage to the unit from the twice removed tenant, as well as EXTENSIVE unit/ water damage from this winter's rain (really due to a roof that has not been repaired in three years).

: What about my $500 security deposit?

You have a very complex (or at least complex-sounding) situation --and it is in California. This board mainly deals with New York issues. Seems to me that if the landlord (is that who it was?) told you to move out on June 1, then you are not responsible for rent after that point. I do not understand the term "walk out." But if the lease terminates July 1 and the notice was mailed in mistake--well, that is another matter.
Frankly, your post is a little confusing so it is not clear what the situation is.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name