Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Can I be evicted???

Posted by Lynn on June 03, 2000 at 01:43:56:

Hello, I live in a garden apt. complex in Ridgefield, NJ with my husband and 9 year old daughter. My maternal grandparents lived here in this apt. since 1964.My grandfather died in "77. My grandmother stayed until her death in "86. Lease is in deceased grandfathers name. I am 37 now, about 1982 I moved in with my grandmother because my mom was sick and dying of cancer, she died in 1982.I moved in with my grandmother a few years before she died. This is a small complex and rental office where you would pay your rent was on premise and aware of my grandmothers passing. Anyway, they continued to accept my rent, but just kept the lease in deceased grandfathers name. I had some financial difficulties in '91 and was summoned a few times for late rents. I would pay the rent and everything was fine. The last time I was summoned they told me to bring rent to court and it would be accepted.When the time came, they wanted me out claiming they were unaware of my grandparents passing...a lie! Through the years even though all rent receipts were given in grandparents name, as soon as grandmother died, I paid several money orders with my name and/ or husbands. It was always accepted.At court that day(I had a legal aid attorney with me),I presented all receipts showing they immediately accepted all rents from me and even accepted a state agencies help on my behalf of the past due rents on that day. Our lawyers decided that I can stay because I established a tenant/landlord relationship by landlord accepting my rent for more than 6 months. Through the years, if I occasionally was late, they would always try to say Im not a legal tenant and try to get me out. Now, after signing new leases last year, and paying add'l securities on apt. they all of a sudden are asking for more security with the yearly rent increase . When I called to question it, AGAIN, I was told to show proof I'm a legal tenant, by showing documentation from 91 court appearance. NY office girl claims shes been here only 7 years and conveniently can't find anything showing why I am staying here.I feel they keep using this against me, and are dying to get me out! Do I have a leg to stand on?? She also said my husband and daughter are not recognized as tenants, and anything happens to me ...their out! Oh, did I mention my rent is only $460.00! People now moving in complex are paying $900 @ month. If any info to help me..please respond asap. They want proof by next week. Thanks so mucH.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name