Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Electricity problems.....

Posted by Broke in the Bronx on June 02, 2000 at 16:55:31:

My family & I just rented an apartment in an old 3 family house...(maybe 60 years old)..We agreed to do the necessary renovations for the reasonable rent. After all was fixed, we were in, and the rent was paid, we became aware of an "electrical problem". All the appliances (TV, stereo, computer, etc) continue to blow out. The stereo stops and flashes "DANGER, PUSH POWER".. There are hardly any outlets here to begin with. The previous tenant converted all the light switches to outlets...???? Anyway, the landlord told me that we have "too much stuff" in this apartment. He brought his electrician here, and we called 2 ... all 3 said it was a fire hazard, insufficient electricity, etc... The whole house , all 3 apartments, were on 1 circuit and it was never updated...?? I'm not up on what all this means.. but all I needed to hear was that i was living in a fire hazard.(w/ my family).. Now, i want the job done, they say it doesn't need to be done, I've spent too much $ on this apartment already, and I don't feel that we should be responsible for the costs...Am I right?? What can I do?? P.S. The landlord told me to plug the a/c into an extension cord...!!! Does he want us to all BLOW UP??

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name